Author Topic: Idle Mixture Screws  (Read 3677 times)

Offline nero

Idle Mixture Screws
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
Yesterday I decided to check out how much vacuum I had at idle and see if I could get it any higher by adjusting the idle mixture screws. The engine idles nice and smooth so I did this out of curiosity. The vacuum gauge shows a steady 18.5'' of vacuum. When I turn the idle mixture screws there is no change at all to the vacuum or any change to how the engine is running. I can turn them all the way in or all the way out and there is no change at all. Not really a big deal as everything is running fine but just curious as to why there is no change to anything when I adjust the mixture screws. Any thoughts on the issue?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: Idle Mixture Screws
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:03 PM »
welcome to the forum! If the idle mixture screws don't seem to make any changes then the reason could be that someone previously may have installed incorrect parts like the springs on the needles. whatever the case it may be preventing the needle from doing their job. what year is the M4ME. Newer carbs have metric threads that are very fine thread and require alot of adjusting to do anything [sometimes]. Try and see if the needle is actually seating. If the spring bottoms out before the the needle seats then that will prevent the needles from doing their job. As stated in other posts, sometime you may need to trim the spring a little if the idle hole have been drilled out or sometimes you may have to go to the old style of needles which requires some machine work. If none of that works then your fuel supply is coming from somewhere else during idle. you should have at least some kind of control of the idle with the adjusting screws. Good luck.

Offline nero

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:53:24 AM »
Hi thanks you for the reply and the welcome. Its a 1980 M4ME (17080274). I had it rebuilt a few years ago. I will take a look as you suggested. It does bottom out but not sure at this point if it is due to the spring and not actually bottoming out. If this is not the issue and the fuel supply is coming from somewhere, are there any steps to check this without taking the carb apart. My knowledge on carburetors is limited but would like to learn more.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
That carb is from a turbo 301, according to carbs unlimited. Maybe they have some weird calibration.
Jim

Offline nero

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
That carb is from a turbo 301, according to carbs unlimited. Maybe they have some weird calibration.

Yep, that is what it is currently on.There are a few specific differences an external (to the carb) PEVR valve that operates the primary metering rods as well as larger secondary metering rods. Those are the two differences I am aware of but I was not aware of any wierd calibration settings.