Author Topic: Marine quadrant flooding at idle  (Read 3395 times)

Offline rozicrc

• Garage guy
Marine quadrant flooding at idle
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Hello
I have a 19083522 on a mercruiser I have been struggling with for a couple of years now. It runs like a raped ape when over 1000 rpm with float level at 3/8 per the Merc manual, 1/4 gets a lot of dripping from the stern primary. I have replaced kit cheap rebuild kit with a cliff kit, but have the same issue I originally had. I have 5.5 fuel pressure when cranking, have replaced the fuel pump, vacuum checked the needle and seat as well as pressure checked with no leak until 7 psi.  I only have the idle screws out to 2 turns and adjusted to where the engine is at max rpm plus 1/2 turn. The boat does sit stern low in the water as I added a swim platform. I can make a wedge up from a spacer I have, but am trying to avoid it. I have read that running lean can cause primary drip. What should I be trying to do here as this is getting painful when trolling?  Thanks in advance for your replies

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Marine quadrant flooding at idle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:19:21 AM »
Did you remove the idle tubes and clean them during the rebuild?

Offline rozicrc

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
Yes I did clean completely . I adjusted the idle to high I believe based on posts here and was too lean. . Since posting I have adjusted 3/4 turn richer and successfully slowed down the idle. Unfortunately I have a rod knock now on 2 or 3. I checked the o and smell gas in it. Think I killed my motor with 30 hours on it, pulling it now. Suck is life!

Offline rozicrc

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
The flywheel came loose motor is fine. Belleville washers are in my future. And yes I checked the flywheel for cracks and the harmonic balancer for damage