Author Topic: What is this airhorn's correct application?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
What is this airhorn's correct application?
« on: June 23, 2017, 05:29:57 PM »
I have been trying to do a little sleuthing of my own, and I am a bit of a loss on this one;

Casting number 7037535
Has POE.

I am sure of this much, it's a Pontiac OEM airhorn for a 1969-1970 casting;
But I don't know which one, or if it's a SR casting.

Can someone please let me know what this top is 100% correctly suited for?

Thanks in advance for helping me solve this one.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: What is this airhorn's correct application?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:47 AM »
Pic?

I can smell the picture and tell you what the application is!

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
sure, I'll get right on it...

Well, It might take me a day or so ;)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:46:35 AM »
Does it look like this? http://www.gtoforum.com/f178/1970-455ho-quadrajet-help-7040268-a-101265/

If so, it may be a reman unit.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »

and of course this is because I would like to be sure it's matched to the correct main castings ect

as I said before, my understanding is this would be for either a 1969, or 1970 non-Ram Air Pontiac carburetor assembly - but not sure exactly which one.

Ethan, I'm pretty sure these were only cast by Rochester, or Carter, never a remanufacturer.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:47:51 AM »
 Just because it cast by Rochester, doesn't mean it could not have been remanufactured by Holley. ALL Holley reman units (I believe) were cast by Rochester. And most Qjets (ones needed for restoration) are reman units. Not saying they all are. Just hard to find actual ones. Don't quote me on that. ;D

And I am discrediting your part or your information. Just kind of leery on parts like that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:52:49 AM by Ethan1 »
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »
Ethan, I have no doubt you mean well, but you seem to be missing the cusp of my question.
This has nothing to do with an OEM/SR carburetor being remanufactured.

The GM parts books give numbers for assemblies;
In the cast of an airhorn for any model year, the airhorn is assigned a part number, but it doesn't match any visible casted part numbers, because the assigned part number is for the fully assembled (or sometimes partially finished) item;
The casted part number of any given item might be applicable to two or more applications, but final machining and assembly would dictate it's correct application.

I want to know which OEM carburetor application number(s) that this airhorn might be correct/original to.

From my observations (please keepin mind I am a couple decades younger than many in this game), it is rare to come across a quadrajet from the late sixties or early seventies which hasn't gone through a(n often butchered) remanufacturing/rebuilding.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
Ethan, I have no doubt you mean well, but you seem to be missing the cusp of my question.
This has nothing to do with an OEM/SR carburetor being remanufactured.

The GM parts books give numbers for assemblies;
In the cast of an airhorn for any model year, the airhorn is assigned a part number, but it doesn't match any visible casted part numbers, because the assigned part number is for the fully assembled (or sometimes partially finished) item;
The casted part number of any given item might be applicable to two or more applications, but final machining and assembly would dictate it's correct application.

I want to know which OEM carburetor application number(s) that this airhorn might be correct/original to.

From my observations (please keepin mind I am a couple decades younger than many in this game), it is rare to come across a quadrajet from the late sixties or early seventies which hasn't gone through a(n often butchered) remanufacturing/rebuilding.

I am only 28 years old myself, Jon, so please forgive me. So, I am still learning myself.

I already know they were assigned a part number for complete assemblies. I do have the Jets and Metering Rod post down in the Parts and Numbers section. So, I know all about the BIG AC Delco books.

But, not in all the AC Delco books, did they put just airhorn assembly part numbers.  ;)

I agree though. Good luck trying to find an original 1970 HO 455cid GTO Qjet for less than $2K. Remanufactured or Service Replacement, yes, but original, absolutely not!

Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
But, not in all the AC Delco books, did they put just airhorn assembly part numbers.  ;)

Please enighten me further!!

Ok, at this time, I have one complete 7029268, it is an original unit with a pick code, and 2288 date code.   This carb has an airhorn that I believe is wrong, it has a 7038736.
I actually have two 7037535 airhorns;
One, through process of elimination, I am certain does not belong on the carb it came installed on;
The other I cannot be sure, because it came on one of those generic rebuilt carbs, but was an application number of which I haven't had opportunity to inspect additional units...

Does anyone know if say one casting number was used by Carter one several applications, while the real Rochester's which were manufactured for the same applications had different casting number airhorns? or did both the Carter and Rochester manufactured Quadrajets use the same casting number parts, regaurdless as to who casted/assembled it?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 02:17:54 AM »
Please enighten me further!!

Ok, at this time, I have one complete 7029268, it is an original unit with a pick code, and 2288 date code.   This carb has an airhorn that I believe is wrong, it has a 7038736.
I actually have two 7037535 airhorns;
One, through process of elimination, I am certain does not belong on the carb it came installed on;
The other I cannot be sure, because it came on one of those generic rebuilt carbs, but was an application number of which I haven't had opportunity to inspect additional units...

Does anyone know if say one casting number was used by Carter one several applications, while the real Rochester's which were manufactured for the same applications had different casting number airhorns? or did both the Carter and Rochester manufactured Quadrajets use the same casting number parts, regaurdless as to who casted/assembled it?

There is NO known manual with just air horn part number's for Qjet's. I was speaking of other Rochester's in the AC Delco manual. That being said, there has to be a list out there. So, sorry for getting your hopes up.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 02:24:40 AM »
 Jon, have you looked ALL the numbers up on that airhorn? Like the idle vent cover? Pump arm? Lockout lever? And correlated them together to see which one it is close to?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:30:03 AM by Ethan1 »
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
There is NO known manual with just air horn part number's for Qjet's. I was speaking of other Rochester's in the AC Delco manual. That being said, there has to be a list out there. So, sorry for getting your hopes up.

this is the kind of info you have to accumulate data to get.  I am in the process of doing this but unfortunately I don't have too many old carbs (rare, and/or desireable) in that list.  I take note of the casting number of every single quadrajet part that I come across...baseplate, main body, air horn...

Frank.

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »
Frank, that is exactly what I expected.

I figured if anyone would be armed with this sort of info, it would have been Cliff.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:03 AM »
  this is the kind of info you have to accumulate data to get.  I am in the process of doing this but unfortunately I don't have too many old carbs (rare, and/or desireable) in that list.  I take note of the casting number of every single quadrajet part that I come across...baseplate, main body, air horn...

Frank.

Agreed, Frank! I don't have too many rare carbs myself. I have some desirable Chevy's, but no desirable B-O-P carbs. :-\
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)