General Category > Lobby

Roller cam suggestion

(1/2) > >>

JoeF:
I'm planning to build a Pontiac (400 based) stroker for my '67 GTO.  The car will be 99% street driven and the primary goal of the build will be max performance WITHOUT giving up street manners.  The car has PS, PB and AC.  It's a TH400 auto and I'll probably strap a Continental converter to it.  Rear gears are 3.42 posi.  What  are some good roller cam choices to look for?  Either solid or Hyd is fine.

Cliff Ruggles:
Joe, what cylinder heads are you using, and what compression ratio?....Cliff

JoeF:
Cliff,

I'll either use my existing 670's with a dished piston or, if I find a cheap set of 6X's, I'll pick them up and use those.  I'm looking for something that will work with 89-93 octane and iron heads.  I plan to shoot for the 9-9.5 range on the CR unless you think I can manage something higher.  I'll have the block zero decked and some light port work done.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'll be using RA manifolds

Cliff Ruggles:
If you are going to end up around 9.5 to 1, choose the roller cam just as if you were choosing a flat tappet cam.  A very good place to be with a 400 Pontiac engine at that compression ratio is around 220-224 degrees intake duration, with about 6-10 additional degrees of exhaust duration.  LSA should be 112-114, with the ICL 108-110.

Avoid cams with short seat timing events, and "tight" LSA's....Cliff

JoeF:
220-224 for a 400.  How much more duration for a stroker (462)?   I'm thinking something around 230/236 would have great stret manner and vacuum in a 462.  (SD stump puller?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version