Author Topic: Hmm another quadrajet issue  (Read 3781 times)

Offline 68qj4me

• Garage guy
Hmm another quadrajet issue
« on: July 06, 2017, 06:23:17 PM »
I am not even sure were to start. Carb #17058240. I have had nothing but problems with this carb. It all started with fuel puddling up in the intake. Ok got the book and rebuild kit from Cliff. Rebuilt checked everything including well plugs. Plugs have no leaks and float level is set at 1/4. Runs ok but really rich at idle and air screws do nothing.  I think it has to pulling fuel from some where but not sure where. I don' t see any nozzle drip but fuel is always still in the intake the next morn. Will start with a couple of pumps. Maybe this is normal but would like to know before going any farther into the rich idle. Any body have any ideas what to check?

I even have the carb filled with liquid sitting on my work bench  with out the throttle plate on top of paper towels just hoping it would leak, but so far nothing.

Offline von

• Carb lover
Re: Hmm another quadrajet issue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »
Could be too much fuel pressure from pump. Many aftermarket pumps have too much for a Q jet.

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
Was thinking the same.  I'd check that before going any further.

Offline 68qj4me

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »
Ok that will be my next step. It just sucks that you run stock pump and they can't get the pressure right. I  put on a a carquest pump and in the spec book it even says max pressure 9.5. Smh. I have carter pump ordered out now which says max pressure of 5.5. Will pressure check and report back.

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:35:16 AM »
If that one has too much pressure, get an AC Delco pump. That fixed my problem with too much pressure from parts store Airtex pumps.

Offline 68qj4me

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
The carquest pump was made by airtex and the pressure was a 9.5. Went to a carter and pressure dropped to 6.5 so should be good on pressures now.

Offline blazer74

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
I've been down the fuel pump high pressure road before. Causes all sorts of issues. flooding/ fuel forced thru the primary nozzles and dripping  , Hard hot starts. Heat expansion of fuel trapped in the lines between the pump and carb can rise and overcome the needle/seat.
I tapped in an inline direct read pressure gauge near the carb to keep track of fuel pressure.