Author Topic: Forum Maintenance Aug 30 DONE - Added a Secure Certificate  (Read 1597 times)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Forum Maintenance Aug 30 DONE - Added a Secure Certificate
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
I am going to be doing some work on the website and the forum today starting at 8:00 PT / 11:00 ET.
There will be some downtime and some errors that may display. I'll post when I am done.
But until I do, any problems logging in or accessing the site or store are to be expected.. I apologize for the inconvenience.
If you need parts or service you can call Cliffs directly 740.397.2921
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:30:14 PM by jamesF »

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Re: Forum Maintenance Aug 30 during the day
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Updates are done. The site now loads using a secure connection. You'll notice this in your address bar in the browser. You'll see HTTPS:// rather then HTTP:// (If your browser is set to display that part of the web site address)  by default.

You should see a Padlock in your address bar. Some browsers show it on the left, some on the right. See attachments for examples.

The website, the store and the forum are now "secure" meaning any data sent between your computer and the website is encrypted.

Also as a note, ALL transactions in the Store once you begin "Checkout" are handled directly within https://www.paypal.com/us/home which is very secure.

Here is some info on the concept:

-When a web user visits a secure website, an SSL certificate provides recognition info about the web server and creates an encrypted connection. This process happens in a fraction of a second.
The Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) of the user checks the SSL Certificate to make sure that the site it is connecting to, is secure and to verify the site