Author Topic: 1977 Qjet coughs and sputters  (Read 10694 times)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: 1977 Qjet coughs and sputters
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
fwiw i think its ether a tight intake valve or the distributer . i don't think its  in the carb it may even have a lobe on the cam going flat .

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 1977 Qjet coughs and sputters
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
I use the exact same carburetor on my 455 up near 600hp.  It was also used on 3 previous engines that were in my car and has been flawless the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVdoLR-VzM

I have done a LOT of testing and on several occasions the engine "puked" on full throttle starts with the following set-ups.

Installing a K & N X-Treem lid

Installing an RPM intake and shorter air cleaner

Putting a full open spacer on my factory dual plane intake

Installing a Performer intake on my current engine

The Performer intake has very restrictive runners to feed nearly 600hp so the engine hated it.

My carburetor is not "modified" in any was far as grinding or "porting" it anyplace, it is basically a stone stock part recalibrated for exactly what I am doing.

It uses the exact same parts we sent you for your carb except for jets and metering rods.

Hanger is an "L", and we change metering rods based on weather conditions at the track.  The metering rods are all custom machined from the same cores for very precise metering changes.

I suspect a fundamental issue someplace not related to the carburetor.  This assumes that it is completely/correctly rebuilt with correct settings and nothing plugged up anyplace internally.

If you can't find a suitable replacement we test carburetors here for $35 plus the fuel (usually about $15)......Cliff