Author Topic: QUADRAJET Rebuild Suggestion  (Read 3390 times)

Offline silverbullet07

QUADRAJET Rebuild Suggestion
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:59:04 AM »
I am looking at getting a quadrajet to learn on. I have a 68 Pontiac 400 4 spd and was looking at two quadrajets. Which of the two is a better carb to rebuild.  I'm looking at a 67 7037263 and a 69 7029268

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: QUADRAJET Rebuild Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
I am looking at getting a quadrajet to learn on. I have a 68 Pontiac 400 4 spd and was looking at two quadrajets. Which of the two is a better carb to rebuild.  I'm looking at a 67 7037263 and a 69 7029268

Welcome to CHP!

Question, are you looking to modify or just rebuild. If modify, then neither. If rebuild, I would go with the 7029268.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline silverbullet07

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
I don't know what the differences are between modify and rebuilding. I had planned to ask Cliff for a good recipe for my engine specs and start from there. I assume somethings would change and modify some others to work on todays gas. Is that modifying? if so, can you elaborate why the two would not be good to modifying?

I chose these two because they resemble what I current have in looks. I have a 68 7028271 carb for my 68 Firebird 400 HO. Cliff rebuilt it and set it up for my engine specs. So I was wanting to duplicate it and perhaps trying different things and what it does to either make it better or worse. Just learning how they work and tune and adjust after that.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:57:38 AM »
I don't know what the differences are between modify and rebuilding. I had planned to ask Cliff for a good recipe for my engine specs and start from there. I assume somethings would change and modify some others to work on todays gas. Is that modifying? if so, can you elaborate why the two would not be good to modifying?

I chose these two because they resemble what I current have in looks. I have a 68 7028271 carb for my 68 Firebird 400 HO. Cliff rebuilt it and set it up for my engine specs. So I was wanting to duplicate it and perhaps trying different things and what it does to either make it better or worse. Just learning how they work and tune and adjust after that.

They're tougher to rebuild. Simply. The secondary well plugs like to leak, because they are pressed in brass cups. Once you get those removed, you have to tap the hole and that can be a pain, because the metal holding the brass cups is VERY thin and sometimes cracks. I would get a later model unit. Like a 17057274 or something of the like. A mid-to-late 70's BOP Qjet should suffice and are easy to find.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)