Author Topic: early APT screw removal  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
early APT screw removal
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »
  I've picked up a few cores lately and some of them had the early APT baseplate.  I figured I would practice the removal of those screws. 

It was able on a few baseplates, by heating the area with a propane torch.  But the last one I could never remove it.  I even tried to heat it up quite a bit with an oxy-acethylene torch, never moved, broke the screw. 

Am I doing this the correct way ? 

Frank. 

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: early APT screw removal
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
 That is how I have done it, Frank. Those things are in there good! ;D Maybe even some Kroil would help.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:34 AM »
Thanks Ethan,

I may try that in the next baseplate.  I'm wondering what is keeping that screw stuck, is it rust or carbon ? any idea ?

Frank.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
Thanks Ethan,

I may try that in the next baseplate.  I'm wondering what is keeping that screw stuck, is it rust or carbon ? any idea ?

Frank.

Probably both, Frank. Remember, you have an aluminum baseplate and steel APT screw. Those two metals don't mix well together. Especially with off-and-on heat cycles. :(
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »
On the four I have done, I just stuck the smallest flat tool from my Leatherman in the hole and twisted. No heat or real screwdriver, guess I'm just lucky. But after having Cliff do bushings and external APT screw I'll just always have him do them