Author Topic: Back at it.  (Read 3136 times)

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
Back at it.
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Hello all I'm back, it's been a while but I'm OK now.
 I still have not finished my engine project but it's back in progress now and getting close to needing the carb done again.
 I did pick an older carb that I might use but that's for later.
 It's good to read up on the projects and posts that are here, as well as all the tech stuff.
 Till next time,   Kenn

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
Re: Back at it.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
Hello again
I have a 72 C10 that I put a 355 in. It has a comp XE 268 H cam, 202 intakes and a performer on top so its just a mild rebuild,
The carb that I was trying to set up was;   17086047
I was having fuel delivery problems during set up that caused me to rebuild the engine.
During the rebuild I was given carb;      7041208
I plan on rebuilding one of these carbs but would like some help deciding which one.
I will be buying the kit here like the last time and using recipe 1 this time, unless that will be to lean for this set up.
thank you for the help.  kenn

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
myself i would stick with the newer carb (unless ite been butchered ) i dont like the old castings you have to be so careful with the plugs etc. i think the top of receipe 1 will work for most of it but i think your going to have to go to at least 2 for the idle. .what kind of vacumn and compression do you have . that will make a big difference . fwiw

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »
Hello
I don't think I did any damage the last time I rebuilt the newer one and it's probably close as it is. I do have notes as to final sizes and I did install bushings and sealed the bottom plugs. All will be checked at tear down.
Thanks    kenn

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
Hi all.
I checked my notes and I have 16" vac and about 9.2 comp.

I took apart the older carb and found that there are some differences in the two of them.
I haven't measured anything but it looks like it's only had the parts changed. The plugs look stock and nothing else looks like its been touched.
I guess maybe I should stick with the newer one. That's the one I decided on in the very beginning of this journey down carb rebuild road.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 03:46:47 AM »
I don't recognize the first carb number, but the second is an older divorced choke Chevy truck unit.

I use and prefer the later hot-air or electric choke models as we can set them up with a working choke on any intake.....Cliff

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
Thanks Cliff That's why it was given to me, I was thinking of adding the coil choke to it.
I'm not looking for every ounce of performance out of the engine just an exceptable MPG.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
 The first carb is off an 1986 Chevrolet/GMC Light Truck 4.3L V6 M/T.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 02:11:16 AM »
Then it would make a much better choice than the early divorced choke Chevy carb.....Cliff

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 03:17:54 AM »
Thanks, I'll call for a kit for the early carb then. It will need gaskits at a minimum but it has only run about 10 hours due to the delivery probs I had. kenn.

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 03:33:53 AM »
Hello, I ordered the gaskets I needed for the newer carb and a rebuild kit for the older carb. I figured that I could use the older one as a spare if I needed one.

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
Hello I am going to rebuild the older carb as a spare with the kit I got from cliff. I may never need it but I want to have a usable one just in case.
The engine is a mild build 350 but I don't know if the settings are even close enough to work or not. I would appreciate any help in checking these and letting me know if they will work.

Idle tube                           .039
Down channel                    .050
Upper air bleed                  .092
lower air bleed                   .065
main air bleed                    .119
main jet                             .074
main rod                             39B
secondary restriction           .034
secondary hanger                 M
secondary rods                     BA

I would like to be able to put this on the shelf without running it but if I cant than so be it.
once again Thanks for the help.
 K.E.N.

Offline kenn

• Carb lover
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
Well than, I'll put this one together and get on to the next one.
Thanks.  K.E.N.